Frequent RMAN Backup failures to Tape !!!! Suggestions Please !!!!

From: BN <bnsarma_at_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 14 Aug 2006 11:28:34 -0400

Greetings,

Oracle 8.1.7.4, HP-UX 11.11 Netbackup
HARDWARE HP9000-800
VERSION NetBackup 5.1MP3AS2

SUN/STK 9840B Tape drives, 20mb/Sec, 256KB buffer size

We have dedicated 4 tape drives for this backup. Nobody else uses these tape drives on the Netbackup Master server.

We use 4 Channel and 4 filesperset in RMAN.

db_file_direct_io_count is set to 64 (default)
db_file_multiblock_read_count=32
db_writer_processes=4

dbwr_io_slaves=0
large_pool_size=18M
db_block_size=8192
shared_pool_size=300M
shared_pool_reserved_size=30M
disk_asynch_io=FALSE
tape_asynch_io=TRUE

Database size : 2 TB. DB is created on EMC SAN Storage Array, stripped across multiple disk sets.
RMAN Tape backup size is 1.8TB

I have an SR open, we haven't still resolved the issue. Wanted to rech out to all the users and other knowledgable pople to see if any body has come accross this issue....

We have frequent RMAN Tape backup failures, repalced Faulty Tape drives, frozen tapes, Resolved most of the Tape errors (84s) We are now getting the following communication errors. Please note We donot have Network issues between this database server Netbacku client to Netbackup Master Server.

Error Message:

RMAN-10035: exception raised in RPC: ORA-19506: failed to create sequential file, name="df_dVRBHRPT_t598326036_s51976_p 1", parms=""
ORA-27028: skgfqcre: sbtbackup returned error ORA-19511: VxBSACreateObject: Failed with error:

   Server Status: timed out connecting to server backup restore manager RMAN-10031: ORA-19624 occurred during call to DBMS_BACKUP_RESTORE.BACKUPPIECECREATE Enabled the debug in rman and were able to take a goodbackup last night. Not sure this is for just one time. We are going to retry the same.

Not sure if we are hitting any size, streaming/speed, buffer size issues, and debug on slowed the backup and resolved the issues?

Our Best backup time is between 9 to 10 hours. This backup with debug on took 11 hours.
We haven't establihsed a pattern yet.
Would Like to check if any body got these errors and resolved the issues

--

Regards & Thanks
BN

--