RE: Oracle 10g Rel.2 taking longer time when SHUTDOWN IMMEDIATE

From: Bobak, Mark <Mark.Bobak_at_il.proquest.com>
Date: Fri, 11 Aug 2006 15:42:36 -0400

I agree w/ Niall, why would you want to bounce in the first place.

For a very quick bounce, and getting the instance back ASAP, my preferred solution is:
startup force restrict

-Mark

--

Mark J. Bobak
Senior Oracle Architect

Ours is the age that is proud of machines that can think and suspicious of men who try to. --H. Mumford Jones, 1892-1980

From: oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org
[mailto:oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org] On Behalf Of Niall Litchfield Sent: Friday, August 11, 2006 3:22 PM
To: sjaffarhussain_at_gmail.com
Cc: _oracle_L_list
Subject: Re: Oracle 10g Rel.2 taking longer time when SHUTDOWN IMMEDIATE

A couple of questions.

Why bounce the databases at all if downtime of a few tens of minutes matters? My general position is that where a database is being deliberately taken down on a schedule that isn't for patching etc something (app/backup strategy etc) is wrong. There could be a good reason for it, but often there isn't.

If you must bounce the db what is wrong with shutdown abort? You don't look as if this is for a cold backup so who cares that some recovery is required?

On 8/11/06, Syed Jaffar Hussain <sjaffarhussain_at_gmail.com> wrote:

        Hello List,

	Since migrated from 9i to 10g, we are facing few new issues.
	At our premises, we tend to bounce our database at week-end. In
9i, it
	was talking few minutes. But, in 10g Re2.10, it is taking more
20
	minutes.
	When we shutdown immediate, there would be around 600+ inactive
	sessions. In 9i, there was not issues with the number of
inactive
	session, but, in 10g Rel.2, I believe, some internal changes
have been
	made while killing the inactive session. Thats why, it might be
taking
	longer time.
	I am afraid, if this is the case, in case of emergency, we need
	wait 20+ minutes to bring down the database. I dont want to opt
for
	'shutdown abort' option.
	Is anyone had/having the same issue with 'shutdown immediate' in
	Oracle 10g Rel.2?

	--
	Best Regards,
	Syed Jaffar Hussain

	I blog at :http://jaffardba.blogspot.com/

http://www.oracle.com/technology/community/oracle_ace/ace1.html#hussain

	"Winners don't do different things. They do things differently."

Niall Litchfield
Oracle DBA
http://www.orawin.info

--