Re: Oracle 10g Rel.2 taking longer time when SHUTDOWN IMMEDIATE

From: Syed Jaffar Hussain <sjaffarhussain_at_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 11 Aug 2006 22:54:53 +0300

Niall,

I agree with your point.
But, there is a reason behind why we need to bounce the db every week-end. We are using 10g, but, still work as Oracle early editions. I am not convienced about the idea, but, has to follow instructions.

Its a local share trading database, where 400+ transactions per second, loosing a second business, cost a big financial lost to the bank.
Our application setup is a little bit complicated, or call it old application (legacy, can't be changed), cause sometimes big problems, where we need to bounce the database immeidately.

I dont understand that shutdown abort maximum doesn't cause any harm. But, as a practice, we generally using shutdown abort as final option among other shutdown commands.

When there are no connections, the shutdown immediate completes in time. The only problem is, when, connection inactive state, exists.