Re: ot: Please reference to excellent Enterprise Resrouce Planning book references

From: Juan Carlos Reyes Pacheco <>
Date: Tue, 8 Aug 2006 15:19:39 -0400

Thanks a lot Dennis, I know how big they are, but if you want to start one, you have to start from somewhre, I know about accounting, employee, etc. What I was looking was good sources for ideas designing erps.

On 8/8/06, Dennis Williams <> wrote:
> Juan,
> You've set a rather ambitious task for yourself. First of all, ERP is
> mainly a buzzword. It consists of whatever a company decides it should. As
> you have stated, an ERP consists of modules. The modules are where the real
> significance is, the real brains. The rest is just how you get the modules
> to communicate. Usually the key module is the general ledger module, since
> money is the key resource in an organization and the general ledger tracks
> the money. There are other modules that usually round out a fully-fledged
> accounting system such as budgeting, accounts payable, accounts receivable.
> Then there are other modules that companies have come to expect from a
> fully-fledged ERP system such as payroll, support for human relations, and
> perhaps inventory control. But the point is that at some point there is
> discretion whether to include particular modules or not in a vendor's ERP
> design, depending on what the vendor's clients are requesting, and where the
> vendor's competence lies.
> To develop any of these modules would take an education in that
> subject and years of professional practice. A company which wishes to
> develop one of these modules first hires a team of competent professionals
> in that subject area to design that module.
> Once you've developed individual modules, then you must decide how the
> modules will exchange information. A key decision is how frequently the
> modules need to exchange information. Sometimes it must be real-time.
> Sometimes you want an overnight cycle. Sometimes it is a month-end
> accounting cycle.
> In summary, ERP systems, even small ones, tend to be vast, sprawling
> affairs with complexity that boggles the imagination. But the number of
> features varies according to the size of organization which purchases them.
> Take payroll for example. Say you are a payroll clerk paying a dozen
> employees at a small organization. You just need a very simple payroll
> program to assist you. Maybe only one employee has a garnishment against
> his/her wages. You just handle that manually without assistance from the
> program. Now, suppose you manage a payroll department for a medium-sized
> company and you pay thousands of employees. Now there will be hundreds of
> people with garnishments against their wages so you must have a payroll
> program with a good garnishment feature or you'll spend a lot of time each
> month handling the garnishments manually. So small organizations use simple,
> cheap programs with few features, while large organizations use complex,
> expensive programs with many, many features. Hopefully this gives you some
> small insights into the ERP landscape.
> From the point of view of a database administrator, it is all tables
> and demanding users. You aren't expected to be an expert in any of the ERP
> modules. But you must ensure the users don't encounter any database errors
> [...]

Oracle Certified Profesional 9i 10g
Orace Certified Professional Developer 6i

10 years of experience from Oracle 7 to Oracle10g and developer 6i