Re: Inheriting a "interesting" recovery process

From: stephen booth <stephenbooth.uk_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 8 Aug 2006 19:08:16 +0100

On 08/08/06, William B Ferguson <wbfergus_at_usgs.gov> wrote:

> Personally, I prefer the datafiles at the same level as ORACLE_BASE or
> higher. When I upgrade or install a new version, I don't have to worry about
> juggling the datafiles around to a new location before I delete the old
> binaries.

You don't necessarily have to juggle things around, if you follow the reccomendations in the Oracle 9i Installation Reference Guide ( the Solaris one at least), which is what I follow.

ORACLE_BASE=[whatever top level directory structure you want to install Oracle under, I believe it reccomends /oracle/app/oracle, I use that or /opt/oracle/app/oracle depending on the department who's database it is (different departments have standardised on one or the other depending on long standing political allegiences)]
ORACLE_HOME=$ORACLE_BASE/product/[version]

so if ORACLE_BASE=/oracle/app/oracle and you're installing 9i then ORACLE_HOME=/oracle/app/oracle/product/9i, if you are installing 10g then ORACLE_HOME=/oracle/app/oracle/product/10g

for both the datafiles will live under /oracle/app/oracle/oradata/[dbname] (assuming you use the default dbca location), when you move from one version to the next the datafiles don't move as the location is the same for all versions.

Stephen

http://stephensorablog.blogspot.com/

'nohup cd /; rm -rf * > /dev/null 2>&1 &'