Re: Inheriting a "interesting" recovery process

From: Jared Still <jkstill_at_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 4 Aug 2006 08:29:02 -0700

On 8/4/06, stephen booth <stephenbooth.uk_at_gmail.com> wrote:

> On 04/08/06, David Sharples <davidsharples_at_gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > What does keeping the archive logs have to do with anything. Don't you
> keep
> > all of them anyway?
> >

> The problem is more management than technical. In some companies the
> DBAs are part of Infrastructure and so tend to have control of the
> Oracle Servers, if the sysadmins want to delete some files they have
> to talk to the DBAs first.

Thank you for pointing out that this is not a technical problem.

I'm fortunate I guess in that where I work the DBA's (or rather, DBA) is part of the infrastructure team, as well as apps.

We have mutual respect for each others abilities and try very hard to avoid causing problems for the other guy.

ie. They would *never* delete archive logs. I know this for a fact because they always determine first why a drive is filling up, and then talk to the responsible party to determine what can be done about it.

--
Jared Still