applying security patches

From: Joe Armstrong-Champ <joseph.armstrong-champ_at_tufts.edu>
Date: Wed, 02 Aug 2006 16:00:27 -0400

Does anyone ever get any problems from users who don't want to apply the cpu patches? For example, we have users who don't want to apply them because:

  1. the test system is different from the prod system (application-wise, not system-wise)
  2. testers are busy on other things and can't take time to test the security changes
  3. the prod system is in the middle of a critical process and no changes can be made for some time period sometimes up to 4 weeks.

Issue #1 concerns me and leads to the question of what type of testing do people require before installing the patch in prod.

I don't have a lot of sympathy for #2 since the patches are security related and have big implications if not applied.

Number 3 is also valid. Not sure what to do about this.

Comments appreciated.

Joe