Re: RAC in NAS

From: Mark Brinsmead <pythianbrinsmead_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 1 Aug 2006 20:18:33 -0600

And I'll be happy to read it. ;-)

I wonder how many PHBs will, though...

Although, I really ought to point out that my original point (at the beginning of this
rather long discussion) was *meant* to be that a relatively small amount of common sense (and maybe a whole lot of homework) can avoid the most *amazing* "situations".

As others have recently noted in this thread, many of these "situations" come from such fundamental errors as measuring storage (only) in GBytes, rather than in MB/s or RIOPs. Other personal favorites are deploying a massive new system to production, and *then* starting to think about *how* to back it up, or meticulously benchmarking the "transactional" performance of an OLTP solution but completely neglecting to benchmark the backups or batch processing.

Still, I *have* noted the rather prominent lack of decent reading material on
matters relating to storage architecture. I do recall purchasing *one* book on the subject (mostly out of despair for ever finding a *good* one) and *still* being deeply disappointed. I won't bother to mention the author or the publisher...

Yes, if Jared writes it, I will buy it. I'll probably even *read* it. ;-)

Maybe we could even get him started. Perhaps we should start outlining the TOC? ;-)

--
Cheers,
-- Mark Brinsmead