RE: Index Rebuilds (aka scan a smaller index)

From: Mark W. Farnham <mwf_at_rsiz.com>
Date: Tue, 1 Aug 2006 10:01:18 -0400

The bitmap would be a new index on just the type.

I believe index fragmentation has an operational order greater than n. If that is true, then partitioning would be a superlinear improvement.

Your concerns were valid and I should have been clearer about why I thought this might help.

Now, let's move on to what l_m_d is being used for.

Usually, l_m_d usage falls into two categories:

  1. Documentation for research.
  2. Operational trigger to cause additional processing.

Usually usage #1 doesn't cause too much of a problem because the need is relatively infrequent compared to operational drivers. In general the volatility of change can be reduced in this case by quantizing the time keeping unit. (Date truncated to year, month, week, day).
The coarser the quantization, the less the volatility (presuming the quantization crosses the mean of the rate of change curve - it is possible to not win, but you can't lose; for example if you already only change an individual record on average once a day and you quantize from seconds to minutes you do not reduce the volatility. If the average change is once a second and you quantize to day you reduce volatility by a factor of 86400.

Usage #2, however often represents a huge opportunity. If the meaning of l_m_d is "Hey, I changed! Post process me!" Then the index you actually want is date_I_changed_since_full_post_processing, which gets set to NULL when post processing is complete. You then pull from this index to get candidates to work upon. Since it is highly volatile, it is perversely not a good candidate for bitmap, but punching to NULL keeps it small. This is a reasonably neat trick in Oracle, what with the all NULL index values being dropped, so the total size stays pretty small (again this is subject to the rates of flux and rate of processing to the point you punch it to NULL.) A frequent objection is that you lose the datestamp upon which final processing was complete, but that is a case for an additional column that is used for documentation, not as an operational trigger. The architecture of the database structures to maintain these queues is largely a matter of taste. If I'm not building a replayable, batch contol totalled hard queue structure partially outside Oracle, I have a marginal preference for a separate table with just the primary key of the main table and the nullable column to indicate that work is needed, and possibly a priority rank (though the priority rank is a relational slippery slope to a whole array of columns used to decide fine grained processing priority such as promise date, penalty date, etc. If this is an issue, it is usually best to just have the key and the date (or an even smaller flag), and leave the AI about who gets processed first from the candidates thus identified to a sufficiently complex structure designed for the purpose that you can consider for a small subset of all rows.)

Additionally there are whole systems for handling operational processing including at least Oracle triggers, job scheduler, workflow, the e-Business suite concurrent manger, BPEL, and custom hard queues.

None of these suggestions for working around the problem actually deals with the problem you are currently observing. I'm not sure there is a reasonable solution to keeping a highly volatile index as small as possible. Roughly 11 to 64, about a factor of 6, seems a little high to me compared to Bayer tree mathematics, but Oracle has considerably "fancied up" from a bare bones Bayer tree, and l_m_d has that old, hard to handle monotonically increasing problem. Still, Oracle might be interested in your exact data with a way to replay it from "good" (11K) to "bad" (64K) so they can see whether they are missing an opportunity to do even better. Trying to stamp out every excuse to rebuild as a solution is a useful quest.

There is also a very real possibility that you're using the l_m_d for something entirely different that none of these suggestions are appropriate for your case.

Regards,

mwf