Re: Column order in indices (oracle 9.2)

From: <genegurevich_at_discoverfinancial.com>
Date: Tue, 1 Aug 2006 08:10:33 -0500

Goran,

In my case I don't have any range conditions. My query is select * from table where column='zzz';

thank you

Gene Gurevich

             "goran
             bogdanovic"
             <goran00_at_gmail.co                                          To
             m>                        genegurevich_at_discoverfinancial.com
                                                                        cc
             08/01/2006 08:03          sac_at_uillinois.edu, oracle-l
             AM                        <oracle-l_at_freelists.org>
                                                                   Subject
                                       Re: Column order in indices (oracle
                                       9.2)

Pay also attention if some of those columns has been used in the where clause with a range condition.
If such, put this column(s) at the end of the index. The reason why, you can find in the book of J.Lewis.
CBO walk the mysterious ways :-)

On 8/1/06, Schultz, Charles <sac_at_uillinois.edu> wrote:   The column order does matter, but Oracle can SKIP SCAN an index in the   situation you talk about. To determine exactly what is going on, you   should at least get an explain plan of your sql. I imagine there are   other factors involved.