Re: osh/oraenv for users w/ low file size limit - not for scripts?

From: Boris Dali <boris_dali_at_yahoo.ca>
Date: Tue, 1 Aug 2006 09:16:01 -0400 (EDT)

Thanks, Mark.

Yes, I also didn't have to deal with this issue, setting limits high enough ... until last week that is, when this question came up.

Putting osh as a shell to execute the rest of the scripts sounds like a clever idea (although you probably meant $ORACLE_HOME/bin/osh, not /usr/local/bin/osh - or did you mean coping osh from $OH to there? And with two homes it doesn't matter which osh to use?), but ... it doesn't seem to work. Simple test:

#!/oracle/product/9.2.0/bin/osh

date # never see results of this line, gets stuck

Thanks,
Boris Dali.

> Perhaps I have missed something here -- I don't
> think I've seen the entire thread -- but perhaps you
> could achieve your objective by placing the
> following
> line at the beginning (i.e., *first* line) of your
> shell script:
>
> #!/usr/local/bin/osh
>
> Then your entire shell script will (should) be
> executed
> by osh.
>
> I wouldn't really know, though, as I have never seen
> system where "osh" was actually used. Usually
> I set the "ulimits" appropriately high for *all*
> necessary
> users, and pretty much every database server I have
> seen in years does the same...
>
> (Actually, I usually set the ulimits for *all* users
> on
> the database server, but in my universe, only DBAs
> and sysadmins ever login to the database server.
> Usually, at least. With modern UNIXEN where kernel
> resources are allocated dynamically, there is much
> less reason *not* to do this than there was 10 years
> ago...)
>
> Anyway, this might work for you. Good luck.
>

> --
> Cheers,
> -- Mark Brinsmead
> Staff DBA,