Re: RAC in NAS

From: Jared Still <jkstill_at_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 31 Jul 2006 07:47:32 -0700

On 7/27/06, Mark Brinsmead <pythianbrinsmead_at_gmail.com> wrote:

> Excellent advice.
>
> You know, when I think back on the 5 or 10 biggest infrastructure "errors"
> I have seen in recent years,
> they all seem to have this in common: The "technical architect" obtained
> most (or all) of his/her advice
> and information from hardware sales reps (and usually from only one
> vendor). The only exceptions I can
> think of are the cases where the "technical architect" actually *was* the
> hardware sales rep...

Small wonder. The technical architects are not usually experts in storaage. That is, down to the detail level.

The problem is lack of education. The reason for that is that an education storage management is very difficult to come by unless you deal with it every day.

Try looking for a book that gives a concise explanation of storage management.
There isn't one. I've looked on amazon, googled and asked the people that would know if such a thing exists. It doesn't.

Unless the TA has such an expert in house, or knows where to find one, there's no one else to turn to than the vendors.

Of course, when doing my own homework, I *do* look pretty closely at
> vendor-supplied information.
> I usually skip the brochures, though, and go straight to the spec sheets
> and (when available) reference
> manuals. When I feel like having fun, I do this *before* the sales rep is
> invited to visit... ;-)

Those spec sheets are useless unless you know enough about storage to interpret them, or have someone available to do so for you.

This is often dependent on the size of the company. Small to medium size businesses do not often have the expertise necessary to understand all the implications of different storage technologies when considered with a specific use such as Oracle Databases. They often also do not have sufficient resources to fully explore this in a lab environment.

Back to the vendors, once again.

--
Jared Still