RE: SOS- Datafile Recovery.

From: Mercadante, Thomas F \(LABOR\) <Thomas.Mercadante_at_labor.state.ny.us>
Date: Mon, 31 Jul 2006 09:16:34 -0400

How about recovering the data file on the machine where the log file exists?

This transmission may contain confidential, proprietary, or privileged information which is intended solely for use by the individual or entity to whom it is addressed. If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any disclosure, dissemination, copying or distribution of this transmission or its attachments is strictly prohibited. In addition, unauthorized access to this transmission may violate federal or State law, including the Electronic Communications Privacy Act of 1985. If you have received this transmission in error, please notify the sender immediately by return e-mail and delete the transmission and its attachments.

From: oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org
[mailto:oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org] On Behalf Of Zhu,Chao Sent: Monday, July 31, 2006 9:12 AM
To: prabhu_adam_at_hotmail.com
Cc: oracle-l_at_freelists.org
Subject: Re: SOS- Datafile Recovery.

It is impossible to online the datafile witout applying that logfile. Could it be the logfile is still online redo due to inactive in that instance?

Taking the datafile offline, mv, and recover, online is the right apporach. it minimize the impact to the system.

If you can't find teh archivelog in 3rd instance, immediately review your backup plan. It is by design problem. How do you backup your database? do you happen to have a standby database? How long you take offline that datafile?

On 7/31/06, Prabhu, Krishnaswamy <prabhu_adam_at_hotmail.com> wrote:

Hi List,

We are running 3 node RAC system v9207 on AIX5L. Its a 25 TB, DWH production DB. Since one of our filesystem has reached 100 % usage, we have
moved some of the big datafiles away from the filesystem after putting it on
offline. Once after completion of file transmission, we renamed the datafile
and tried to recover the datafile.

While doing the "recover datafile ", we got into trouble, its aksing for the
log sequence which is generated by the first node ( we're moving using the
third node) and we're not able to find the archived log file for that sequence on the backup repository.

Is there any way to recover the datafile by skipping the log seq. file ? Or
is there any way to do the media recovery for this file?

Please advice.

Thanks,
Prabhu

Regards