Re: RAC in NAS

From: Nuno Souto <dbvision_at_iinet.net.au>
Date: Mon, 31 Jul 2006 12:39:28 +0800

Quoting Mark Brinsmead <pythianbrinsmead_at_gmail.com>:

> Wouldn't it be nice if it was as simple as
> select * from v$asynch_io;
> or something?

NOW you tawkin! How about it, mr Oracle? (do they still listen?)

> I do like your "watch" technique -- I'll file that away for future
> reference.
> But it doesn't help me much with an instance that's already running...

My "trick" for that: turn on the "watch", create a small tablespace with a datafile, then drop the tablespace. If it's using aio, counters should tick over.

Warning for the benefit of those listening in: do NOT do this in a live system, TEST first! It's not likely this will cause any harm but it's good form to always test any new technique. One never knows what combination of patches/os levels/io might possibly cause a problem and I certainly don't know what everyone else is running! For example, I've never tested this with raw files. As always: exercise good judgement.

--
Cheers
Nuno Souto