RE: open_cursors question

From: Bobak, Mark <Mark.Bobak_at_il.proquest.com>
Date: Fri, 28 Jul 2006 16:15:56 -0400

Sandy,

I'm a DBA, not a Java developer, but, as I recall, not only does the developer need to close the resultset, but also the statement. (Using the stmt.close() method.)

A bit of info is available in MetaLink Doc ID 118756.1, Oracle JDBC Frequently Asked Questions.

Hope that helps,

-Mark

--

Mark J. Bobak
Senior Oracle Architect

Ours is the age that is proud of machines that can think and suspicious of men who try to. --H. Mumford Jones, 1892-1980

From: oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org
[mailto:oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org] On Behalf Of Sandra Becker Sent: Friday, July 28, 2006 4:06 PM
To: oracle-l_at_freelists.org
Subject: open_cursors question

Recently, we bounced our database for maintenance. When it came back up, we had open_cursors set to 1000. Last night, some of our clients didn't get their reports because maximum open cursors was exceeded. I set open_cursors back to 5000, the value before the database was bounced, so they could run the necessary reports. One of the developers made this comment " We do close the connection and that closes associated resultsets also. The connection is passed to ReportSessionBean.writeReport() and is closed in finally clause. ". A few questions come to mind:

  1. Does closing a connection really close the associated resultsets?
  2. 5000 open_cursors seems excessive to me. How do I determine if this is really what's needed or do we have other "code" options?
  3. What can I do to help my developers? I'm new to the development DBA world and not familiar with Java yet. Also new to the company so I don't understand all the code relationships yet.
  4. What effect do all these open cursors have on my database? Can we improve our efficiency/performance by explicitly closing cursors?

I would appreciate any insights.

Sandy

--

http://www.freelists.org/webpage/oracle-l Received on Fri Jul 28 2006 - 15:15:56 CDT