Re: Oracle Auditing Recommendations

From: William B Ferguson <wbfergus_at_usgs.gov>
Date: Fri, 28 Jul 2006 13:13:33 -0600

TOAD (maybe with the DBA option?) actually makes it extremely easy, though there's an awful lot than can be audited.

As an experiment, I went through and activated all auditing on everything in a development database, and I only have 4 people using this database. I was generating around 1 GB of auditing data each day! Needless to say, I turned off auditing after a few weeks, as I was getting tired of truncating the audit table.

I figured I'll wait and see what is 'officially' recommended by the 'Security Group' (who don't know databases), since they so far have only recommened enabling auditing, but no details on what to audit or how.

                               Bill Ferguson
            U.S. Geological Survey - Minerals Information Team
                           PO Box 25046, MS-750
                           Denver Federal Center
                          Denver, Colorado 80225
           Voice (303)236-8747 ext. 321     Fax   (303)236-4208
      ~ Think on a grand scale, start to implement on a small scale ~

"Guerra, Abraham J" <AGUERRA_at_amfam.com> Sent by: oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org
07/28/2006 09:47 AM
Please respond to
AGUERRA_at_amfam.com

<oracle-l_at_freelists.org>
cc

Subject
Oracle Auditing Recommendations

Hello all,

I was asked to look into Oracle database auditing capabilities to flag any activity done in the database outside the normal use of an application. I'm reading the Oracle manual for starters, but can any of you send me some recommendations, white papers I can look at or any third-party tools that will do this?

Thanks.

Abraham Guerra.
Oracle DBA
American Family Insurance.