Re: Data consolidation design training

From: Sandeep Dubey <dubey.sandeep_at_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 28 Jul 2006 13:06:09 -0400

Dennis,

Thanks for the reply. Let me briefly tell you about the system. We have OLTP systems for document processing. A document has to live for 3 years. We can not store 3 years worth of data in the OLTP systems for performance reason, so we plan to move the data to a single consolidated database and delete the data from OLTP say after 3 months. A document has a set of metadata and one - to many attributes call it properties. The document once archived in the warehouse can again be modified, voided, replaced etc though less in frequency. This warehouse needs to be on line 24x7 as it is supporting 27x7 OLTP systems.

I haven't figured out if it will be a truly dimensional model or relational.

Thanks

Sandeep