Re: Query tuning exercise: what to look for in a 10053 trace

From: Niall Litchfield <niall.litchfield_at_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 28 Jul 2006 06:39:58 +0100

I'd stick Cary's book in the D category, and suggest that it has one advantage over OWI (which is an excellent book as well). That is that OOP as well as dealing with profiling elapsed time also deals with whether you even have a problem in the first place. OWI has an implicit assumption that there is a problem worth looking at. As Gaja has pointed out oftentimes we can dive right in with DUC when we don't need to. This which he labelled Compulsive Tuning disorder is I believe the first of a new class of conditions to which DBAs are susceptible. as well as OCD there is

RPI (Repetitive Patching Illusion - whereby patches are applied to patches to patches in the hope of attaining system stability) CUD (Compulsive Upgrade Disorder - the irrational belief that an upgrade will clearly related to both CTD and RPI)

I'm sure there are others waiting to be identified

--
Niall Litchfield
Oracle DBA