Re: RAC in NAS

From: Mark Brinsmead <pythianbrinsmead_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 27 Jul 2006 23:39:29 -0400

Agreed. You can live without AIO.

You'd be *amazed* at the push-back I got from various sources, though, when I suggested turning
on I/O slaves. After all, that's "obsolete", isn't it? ;-) (Not!)

But it *sucks* when you don't *know* you're living without it. I recently saw this happen to a client
who had migrated from DAS to NFS (without doing enough homework). The first hint that AIO was
not in use manifested months later with the deployment of a new application and the sudden appearance
of huge numbers of block_buffer waits, incomplete checkpoints, and all manner of other bad things
resulting from the (Synchronous) DBWR being unable to write fast enough.

Sadly, unless (and until) you know exactly *where* to look, it is almost impossible to determine whether
or not the database is actually *performing* Asynch I/O. (As most here undoubtedly realise, looking
for DISK_AYNCH_IO=TRUE does *not* do the job!)

(Almost) just for chuckles, I opened an SR with Oracle support, asking questions like "how can
I test whether my DB is doing Asynch I/O on Linux?" and "knowing that Asynch I/O is unsupported,
what are the risks of doing so anyway?". After almost two weeks, the questions are unanswered,
even though I was able to answer them myself with less than an hour of surfing Metalink and Google.

For the record: "cat /proc/slabinfo", and "there is no risk -- the Linux kernel will stop you" respectively
appear to be the answers to these questions. And hat's off (again) to Werner Puschitz for his excellent
website -- the information I found there seems to be a good deal better than Metalink...

Anyway, this is a large part of where the homework comes in. Those who fail to do it probably won't
even suspect that AIO is not being used until *long* after they start using NFS. Of course, that might
beg the question: if it has no observable affect, is it *really* a problem? But I'll leave that one to the
philosophers to ponder. I *know* I won't bother to ask OSS. ;-)

--
Cheers,
-- Mark Brinsmead