Question on starting up Oracle with "startup force"

From: Hameed, Amir <Amir.Hameed_at_xerox.com>
Date: Thu, 27 Jul 2006 10:01:24 -0400

Folks,
We are upgrading from "Veritas Database Edition 3.5 for Oracle 9iRAC" to the "Veritas Foundation Suite 4.1 for Oracle RAC". While testing in the lab with the new version, I noticed that the Veritas agent is starting up Oracle with "startup force" command as shown below:

Thu Jul 27 09:38:47 2006
Starting ORACLE instance (force)
LICENSE_MAX_SESSION = 0
LICENSE_SESSIONS_WARNING = 0
SCN scheme 3
Using log_archive_dest parameter default value Oracle instance running with ODM: VERITAS 4.1.10.00 ODM Library, Version 1.1
LICENSE_MAX_USERS = 0

It is my understanding that "startup force" should be used only when the database is having problems with shutting down cleanly and you want to forcefully shut it down and then start it up. Metalink note 1020192.6 also states the same (as shon below):

STARTUP FORCE This command does a combination of shutdown abort and startup. Use this only when experiencing problems in shutting down or starting the database.

I was going to raise it with Veritas to find out why their agent starts up the database forcefully. Has anyone experienced the same with this Veritas product?

Thanks
Amir