Re : Query tuning exercise: what to look for in a 10053 trace

From: Bernard Polarski <bpolarsk_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 26 Jul 2006 23:37:11 -0700 (PDT)

Dennis,

 You in fact put all correct references and added the response to your own question and here is my justification:

     When I once browsed G. Millsap/jeff Holt book I got the impression that it is more application focused than single SQL. I say 'seems' as I have the book but did not yet read it, and reckon I may be wrong, not a problem.

     But decision had to be taken and transformed in action plan, so I created my DUC short list considered from a production DBA point of view - Which I am - and decided to go first for the lower layers of Oracle understandings, abandonning the rest for an hypthetical futur.

     Production DBA have usually marginal influence on subsequent release for specific applications in their data centers, especially when they deal whith tens of applications and hundreds DB (Dev,QA,PRD,STDBY). In this respect, conceptual and design mastering of a DB is just academic knowledge but at the stage where I live - production - it is too late.

 B.Polarski
 http://www.smenu.org

Bernard,

 Over the years I've come to appreciate someone who can summarize a complex topic in a few succinct statements. Just to clarify for the rest of us, please confirm that you are referring to:

 My only quibble is that there needs to be a place in your pantheon for

 Dennis Williams

 On 7/26/06, Bernard Polarski <bpolarsk_at_yahoo.com> wrote: Here we find again the holy trinity : DUC

    Diagnose-Understand-Cure

 D : Why is my DB so slow --> Oracle wait interface (Oracle press)
 U : Why the CBO is doing that --> Cost based optimisation (JL)
 C : What should I do now --> Dan Tow, SQL tuning (Oreilly)