RE: RAC in NAS

From: Matthew Zito <mzito_at_gridapp.com>
Date: Wed, 26 Jul 2006 23:44:48 -0400

Not to start a holy war on this, but it *IS* possible to have very successful horizontal scaling using RAC. One of our appliance customers has scaled to a 10-node cluster linearly, saving them over $800,000 just in infrastructure costs, even counting the additional cost of the RAC licenses and our software. We have several other customers that have scaled to 4-node clusters easily and saved *only* $100k-200k.

For sure, RAC is not a magical solution, but there are a number of good reasons to consider it, such as HA, reduced infrastructure cost, and incremental scalability. There's increased complexity surrounding it as well, which is why there's folks like my company and Kevin Closson's, Polyserve, whose value proposition is reducing that complexity.

Thanks,
Matt

--
Matthew Zito