Re: Logical Standby Issues (cont.)

From: Mark Strickland <strickland.mark_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 25 Jul 2006 10:06:52 -0700

Re-sending this because it seems to have gotten scrambled:

We added primary key and unique key supplemental logging.

Admittedly, I'm quite ignorant about what exactly goes into the redo stream so I'm shocked, SHOCKED!, that bulk inserts/updates get converted into individual row-level statements in a logical standby (and causes a LOB in the SYSAUX tablespace to grow and grow and grow...). I'm about to start a test on the same table that gave our Production Logical Standby a big hairball Friday night to verify that the single bulk update statement gets converted into individual row-level updates and whether those are executed with full table scans or not. The table does have a primary key.

So far, Logical Standby in 10.1.0.3 appears to have these unfortunate "features":

  1. Change Data Capture doesn't work (fixed in 10.1.0.5).
  2. Automatic Statistics Gathering doesn't work (fixed in 11i?).
  3. Bulk inserts/updates are converted into row-level DML. Updates possibly do full table scans (need to verify). -- http://www.freelists.org/webpage/oracle-l