Re: Data consolidation design training

From: Dennis Williams <oracledba.williams_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 25 Jul 2006 09:45:56 -0500

Sandeep,

Is there a reason you don't use the term "Data Warehouse"? A lot of work has been expended in the DW arena. The closer you stick to the DW format, the more help you'll get. People and vendors have put a lot of effort into defining DW and star schemas.

   You can easily create your own data consolidation project, and make your own rules, but you are pretty much on your own.

   For ETL from a DBA perspective, I attended a Tim Gorman seminar and he made the most sense of ETL as anyone I've seen. An overview of some of his ideas can be found at:
http://www.tcoug.org/Archive/Fall2004/Fall2004.html His home page can be found at: http://www.evdbt.com/

   For the amount of data you're talking about, you'll really benefit from his ideas.

Dennis Williams