Re: 10.2.0.2 EE RAC, RHEL4 and LVM2 support?

From: Niall Litchfield <niall.litchfield_at_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 24 Jul 2006 13:15:01 +0100

On 7/23/06, Steve Perry <sperry_at_sprynet.com> wrote:

> there's another one I hear alot and that's "all databases are the
> same - they're a commodity". That comes from managers with networking
> backgrounds (now dba managers) who swear up and down we have to buy
> Cisco. I asked why that same philosophy doesn't apply to networking.
> the answer is "networking is totally different than databases"...

of course networks are different from databases. networks, after all are bits of pipe where you put stuff and some hardware with lights that are Green if there is nothing abnormal and Red if there is. Databases by contrast are big buckets where you put stuff. They do not have Red and Green lights until recent versions. Thus prior to 2001 databases were buckets of stuff and networks were pipes full of stuff with lights. Post 2001 our buckets have lights. :)

--
Niall Litchfield
Oracle DBA