RE: Oracle replication with EMC2

From: Zanen, dhr. J.A. \(Jack\) van <zanenj_at_noord-holland.nl>
Date: Fri, 21 Jul 2006 15:05:04 +0200

Correct, inomplete recoveries might be an issue. With vendor supplied utilities the database can be backed up for disaster recovery scenarios. As you stated this does a begin and end backup under the hood.

Van: oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org
[mailto:oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org] Namens Hameed, Amir Verzonden: vrijdag 21 juli 2006 14:44
Aan: oracle-l_at_freelists.org
Onderwerp: RE: Oracle replication with EMC2

We have been using the BCV split method with Oracle hot backups for the last few years and it has been working fine. We use TimeFinder's symioctl utility to put the database in hot backup mode, which essentially issues Oracle's begin ..end commands under the hood. We are not using consistent splits where the IO is frozen via powerpath. I believe I had found an issue during testing with this approach when doing incomplete recovery.