RE: Oracle issue with Ultrasparc CPU's

From: Loughmiller, Greg <greg.loughmiller_at_cingular.com>
Date: Thu, 20 Jul 2006 08:45:35 -0400

Also, what version of Solaris? If Solaris 10, you may be running into some "unsupportable" configurations with the ancillary software on the infrastructure (ie oracle 8174, veritas, suncluster config,etc)

Just adding food for thought - not that I have a solution for you:-(

From: oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org [mailto:oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org] On Behalf Of Zhu,Chao Sent: Tuesday, July 18, 2006 8:54 PM
To: paulastankus_at_yahoo.com
Cc: oracle-l_at_freelists.org
Subject: Re: Oracle issue with Ultrasparc CPU's

Server downgrade with Identical storage could cause performance degrade too. I have seen case, when we upgrade from 880 2900, storage not changing, and a simple full table scan time reduced to half. It could due to just server bus faster, CPU speed is same for 880 and 2900 I think, 2900 was dual core, but my full scan job is not using parallel at all. You are doing the downgrade actually.

On 7/18/06, Paula Stankus <paulastankus_at_yahoo.com> wrote:

We have just gone from a Sun 6900 to a Sun 1280, from 8 CPU's to 4 CPU's with 1.5 (versus 1) Ghz processing power . They are called Ultrasparcs. We are running both Oracle 8.1.7 and Oracle 10. Performance has degraded and it looks to me that the bottlenecks are I/O. However, I am hearing a rumour that Oracle 8.1.7 does not take advantage of the Ultrasparcs.

Has anyone dealt with this issue and where is it documented?

Thanks,

Paula

Yahoo! Messenger with Voice. Make PC-to-Phone Calls <http://us.rd.yahoo.com/mail_us/taglines/postman1/*http:/us.rd.yahoo.com/evt=39663/*http:/voice.yahoo.com> to the US (and 30+ countries) for 2¢/min or less.

--
Regards
Zhu Chao