Restore and recover database to particular SCN

From: Mindaugas Navickas <mnavickas_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 19 Jul 2006 15:19:07 -0400 (EDT)

Hi,

Last few days I was dialing with task of restoring and recovering database into test environment. Database size ~1TB. Production backups are kept on TSM server and we are using RMAN. Oracle 9.2.0.5 2 node RAC.

Since production server operates in UTC and test box uses EST time (UTC-4hours), we decided not to use UNTIL TIME option of recovering. Instead we decided to use UNTIL SCN.

We run following query to find current SCN in production environment. Is this right place to look for the last SCN?

Select TO_CHAR(ARCHIVE_CHANGE#,'9999999999999') as last_SCN, to_char(sysdate,'YYYY-MM-DD HH24:MI:SS') as tstamp from V$DATABASE;

LAST_SCN

TSTAMP

   14402145866
2006-07-16 04:32:59

When we recovered our database to that particular SCN, and opened it, we found that our database is in much earlier time than we were targeting - we know that because some application generated records were not there.

We did not had any other option than spending another night to restore and recover that 1TB database to some later time. This time we used untill time '2006-07-16 06:00:00' and it was ok.

So, my question is - is V$DATABASE is the right place for getting las SCN for the point that we would like to restore database? If it is, what could be wrong that we got to an earlier time that we were anticipating?

Thank you
Mindaugas Navickas
Oracle DBA

Do You Yahoo!?