Oracle... one DB connects, one does not...

From: Robert Freeman <robertgfreeman_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 19 Jul 2006 10:08:22 -0700 (PDT)

All,

I have a rather stange problem. I have a database on LINUX that we created. We then exported data from a VMS database and imported it to the Linux database. I can connect just fine in SQL*Plus... but our JDBC application is freezing up when trying to issue a query.

What is *really* odd is:

  1. After about 12 hours of inactivity, it starts working ok again. So something is getting reset. We have been trying to figure out what it might be, but we have yet to be able to do so.
  2. We created another database, on the same box, with the same configuration, and imported the data again from the same dump file and we don't have the same problem.

Any ideas???

Robert G. Freeman
Portable DBA: Oracle (Oracle Press)
Oracle Database 10g New Features (Oracle Press) Oracle9i RMAN Backup and Recovery (Oracle Press) Oracle9i New Features (Oracle Press)
Oracle Replication (Rampant Tech Press)
Mastering Oracle8i (Sybex)
Oracle8 to 8i Upgrade Exam Cram (Coriolis <RIP>) Oracle 7.3 to 8 Upgrade Exam Cram (Coriolis <RIP>)