Re: RMAN memory issue

From: John P Weatherman <asahoshi_at_infionline.net>
Date: Mon, 17 Jul 2006 08:27:13 -0400

All,

I am trying to get RMAN configured to handle one of my older databases. The target is 8.1.7.4, the repository database 9.2.0.7. I have created an 8.1.7 repository from the target server and registered the target database. So far, no problems. When I try to allocate channels, I am getting ORA-4031 errors (see below). This happens for both maintenance channels and regular backup channels declared in a run{} block.

RMAN> allocate channel for maintenance type disk;
RMAN-03022: compiling command: allocate
RMAN-03023: executing command: allocate
RMAN-00571: ===========================================================
RMAN-00571: ===========================================================
RMAN-03007: retryable error occurred during execution of command:
allocate
RMAN-07004: unhandled exception during command execution on channel delete
RMAN-10035: exception raised in RPC: ORA-19554: error allocating device, device type: DISK, device name:
ORA-04031: unable to allocate 1065004 bytes of shared memory ("large pool","unknown object","large pool hea","KSFQ Buffers") RMAN-10031: ORA-19624 occurred during call to DBMS_BACKUP_RESTORE.DEVICEALLOCATE

The catalog database should have plenty of room:

NAME                                 TYPE        VALUE

------------------------------------ ----------- -----------------------
large_pool_size big integer 33554432 shared_pool_reserved_size big integer 26843545 shared_pool_size big integer 536870912

as should the target (though the errors says it is coming from the RPC, so this shouldn't be the issue):

NAME                                 TYPE        VALUE

large_pool_size string 1572792 shared_pool_reserved_size string 2000000 shared_pool_size string 20000000

Has anyone else seen this or have any suggestions?

TIA, John

John P Weatherman
Oracle DBA
Madison River Communications