Re: What options are available for connection pooling?

From: Niall Litchfield <niall.litchfield_at_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 17 Jul 2006 13:38:16 +0100

oh for Pete's sake. These surely aren't developers, or even duhvelopers. Promote them to HR or something harmless pronto.

Your Oracle choices are

  1. Shared Server. You can control this.
  2. Using the standard features of the connection technology that they will be using anyway. The Oracle Provider for .Net does connection pooling, if they are still with ADO that does connection pooling, if they are still with ODBC then maybe HR might be a bit of an intellectual leap - but yep that does connection pooling.
  3. JDBC and a Java App server.

My personal preference would be to use ODP.Net and its connection pooling. You could perhaps point them at Mark Williams article at http://www.oracle.com/technology/oramag/oracle/06-jul/o46odp.html where he points out that.

Though while I've been typing this it occurs to me that perhaps a more entertaining approach would be to let them write it and then submit the code to Oracle-wtf.

cheers

Niall

On 7/17/06, rjamya <rjamya_at_gmail.com> wrote:

> For a new application (dot.net) connecting to Oracle (10gr2) RAC DB,
> what options are available for connection pooling? developers want to
> write their own connection manager, but we'd rather use a _proven_
> product.
>
> Any ideas?
> TIA
> Raj