Re: Oracle vs. DB2 UDB

From: Keith Moore <kmoore_at_zephyrus.com>
Date: Thu, 13 Jul 2006 11:03:57 -0500 (CDT)

After many years of working with Oracle, I recently got a chance to work with DB2. There aren't near the number of books, compared to Oracle. The IBM Redbooks (downloadable from their DB2 site) are good.

There are a few books you can purchase. I found the best selection at Nerdbooks (www.nerdbooks.com), but it didn't hurt that they are a couple of miles up the street.

I did not find any comparable mailing lists, but would be interested if anyone else knows of one.

I think I did find some papers online that described the differences, but I don't have them in front of me. I'll see if I can find them.

Obligitory Oracle is better than DB2 Comment:   Become very familiar with isolation levels in DB2. For our OLTP   application, there were many things that ran fine on Oracle that   deadlocked horribly on DB2 (even worse than on SQL Server).

Keith