RE: Oracle 10g upgrade - performance issue

From: <oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org>
Date: Wed, 12 Jul 2006 09:24:59 -0700

RULE hint is officially desupported by Oracle, but 10.2.0.2 will still obey it - I've used it effectively on a problem query that I posted about recently where the query was taking 15 seconds to parse in 10g compared to < 1 second in 8.0.6.

Stored outlines, (a.k.a. plan stability) work very well in my experience
(although I'm sure there are some bugs that I've just been lucky enough
to avoid so far). I would recommend them for the proper situations
(when all else fails) - I've implemented it a number of times in 9iR2
and 10gR2 - let me know if you have trouble getting it to work and I may be able to help.

Regards,
Brandon Allen