Re: RBO changes plan from 8i to 9i

From: Sergey Popov <sspopov_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 12 Jul 2006 10:26:21 -0400

Alex,

Hard to disagree on one hand but on the other hand CBO gives you much more options available to tune and eventually to come up with execution plan no worse than RBO. Siebel with some 2300 tables and 11500 indexes created on them gives RBO a lot of opportunities to use these indexes no matter if it isn't the best way to access the data (my "favorite" table is the one with 61 indexes on it).

Every time I have a performance related call from the SIebel app support  guys I test their SQL in both RBO and CBO. So far in every single case I was able to come up with a CBO plan that outperforms RBO by at least 50%.

It is a known fact that a small percentage or queries will run slower after RBO-to-CBO migration. However, this is where doing it on a test system with proper production workload modeling helps to identify most of the problem plans before moving on prod.

I've never said that CBO is the magic "fast_response=true" parameter :-)

Sergey