Re: VCS and Dataguard

From: David Turner <dnt9000_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 12 Jul 2006 06:45:38 -0700 (PDT)

Dataguard now offers third party support for replication such as dataguard. I haven't even given VCS control of the database yet. I'm basically just working with a couple hosts fronted by a VIP replicating with dataguard to a standby. What I tried last night was replacing host=hog with host=hog01. Next, I setup dataguard between hog01 and hog03 and last I performed switchover. The switchover almost succeeds but the listener dies on the clustered hosts

 Here's the listener.log

 11-JUL-2006 23:58:30 * service_died * db01 * 12537  No longer listening on: (DESCRIPTION=(ADDRESS=(PROTOCOL=tcp)(HOST=hog01)(PORT=1521)))  Listener completed notification to CRS on stop

 Why the Cluster Ready Services message in the alert.log?

 Also, could you send me a basic example of a listener.ora without dataguard? I just want to be sure I'm not missing something.

 Thx, Dave

From what you described it's not very clear where your problem is. Dataguard should not have anything to do with VCS unless I there is something new in 10g. I'm working with 9i standby's with VCS but I believe that the concept is relevant to 10g as well.

What do you mean by "dataguard tries to find the listener on the actual hostname". Usually, you should give a connection descriptor for a listener and this one should point to the listener where your primary database is registered. So it has nothing to do with VCS. Could you provide more details on what errors you get, where and when?

--
Best regards,
Alex Gorbachev

http://blog.oracloid.com