Problem on Win2k

From: Alessandro Vercelli <alever_at_libero.it>
Date: Wed, 12 Jul 2006 14:06:58 +0200

Hi all,
I'm facing with a strange problem with Oracle 8.1.7 on win2k. Some days ago database freezed completely with the following error in alert log:

Mon Jul 10 14:25:45 2006

ARC0: Error 19504 creating archivelog file 'E:\ORA817\MMOHSDB\ARCHIVE\MMOHSDBT001S07878.ARC'
ARC0: Archiving not possible: error count exceeded
ARC0: Failed to archive log# 3 seq# 7878
ARCH: Archival stopped, error occurred. Will continue retrying
ARCH:

ORA-16014: log 3 sequence# 7878 not archived, no available destinations ORA-00312: online log 3 thread 1: 'D:\ORACLE\ORADATA\MMOHSDB\REDO03.LOG'

After this initial error, I found a very long series of:

ARC0: Beginning to archive log# 3 seq# 7878
ARC0: Archiving not possible: No primary destinations
ARC0: Failed to archive log# 3 seq# 7878

Tried to close the db with immediate, but it hanged, using abort succeeded.

In the first looking for errors, I checked disk space which was more than 4 Gb free, so this was not the problem; after I looked at the archived log destination which contained 2908 archived logs (this is an operative db and the setting up for a backup server is slowed down by some "business" discussions...); so I created a temporary location in which I moved most of the archived logs.

The db restarted successfully, and now is running without problems, but I'd like to find what is the above error; I don't remember there are issues on Win2k related to number of files into a directory, surely there're limitations but they're much higher than 2908; prior of moving archived logs, I tried to create a file into the same location without problem.

Has any body experienced such an issue?

Many thanks,

Alessandro