Re: OT: find command on rhel4 not working with mtime

From: Mark Brinsmead <pythianbrinsmead_at_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 10 Jul 2006 18:16:26 -0400

Oh! Bad advice!

Sure, delete the files *first*, *then* check to see whether the date criteria is met.
It will "work", but it won't do what you wanted...

In general, you need to prefix the "*" in your find command with a "\", however,
your use of double-quotes *should* achieve the same end. All the same, why don't
you try?

On 7/10/06, Stefan Knecht <knecht.stefan_at_gmail.com> wrote:

> I've been having some odd issues with find where the order of the filters
> mattered.
>
> try to put -mtime before -name and see if that helps
>
> Stefan
>

> On 7/8/06, Steve Perry <sperry_at_sprynet.com> wrote:
> >
> > Didn't know if anyone else has run across this, but I spent 1.5 hours
> > trying to get a tried and true find command to work on RHEL4 (32-bit)
> > without success.
> >
> > I wanted to delete the audit files in $ORACLE_BASE/admin/<SID>/
> > adump that were older than 60 days. It shouldn't be rocket science
> > or so I thought.
> >
> > the command was
> >
> > find $ORACLE_BASE/admin/<SID>/adump -name "ora*.aud" -mtime +60
> >
> > It was supposed to have " -exec rm {} \;", but I never got that far
> > because it wouldn't return any files.
> >
> > i could use -60 and it would return files less than 60 days, but "+"
> > failed to return anything. I tried ctime as well, but nothing.
> > man and google didn't return anything.
> >
> > Anybody run across this before?
> > I thought I'd ask before writing a perl script. Does anyone have any
> > one-line perl scripts before I write a longer one?
> >
> > Thanks,
> > steve
> > --

Cheers,