Re: Lengthening backup

From: Terry Sutton <terrysutton_at_usa.net>
Date: Sat, 8 Jul 2006 16:03:35 -0700

I did a short test, backing up 2 datafiles, and tracing the session on the target DB. I found that, when the backup took about 30 minutes, over 1700 seconds were spent waiting on "SQL*Net message from client" during the execution of

    begin sys . dbms_application_info . set_session_longops ( rindex => :rindex ,

      slno => :slno , op_name => :op_name , context => :context , sofar => :sofar
      , totalwork => :totalwork , units => :units ) ; end ;

So this seems to be the culprit. Anyone have any idea why running dbms_application_info.set_session_longops would 1) take so long and 2) apparently take longer as the DB is up longer?

BTW, I also flushed the shared pool before one of the tests, and it had no major effect.

--Terry

  Andy,

  The archivelogs are not being backed up by RMAN. And I'm seeing nothing in v$session_longops:

      SQL> select * from v$session_longops where sid in (918,1185);

      no rows selected

  One thing I did notice, FWIW, is at 10:22:35 yesterday, I looked in the directory to which the backup pieces are written, and no files had been touched since 10:19. Later, at 10:32:22, the latest file timestamp was 10:28. So it seems like the backup is doing something between file writes. Don't know if that helps any.

  --Terry
    Hi Terry, two things come to mind. How are the archivelog files being handled (i.e. are they being bundled into the backup, perhaps without a delete?) and does v$session_longops reveal any clues when the backup is running?

    Andy Rivenes
    arivenes_at_llnl.gov

    At 11:05 AM 7/7/2006, Terry Sutton wrote:

      I'm having some issues with a client's RMAN backup. They're on Oracle 8.1.7.4, Solaris 8. It's a weekly full backup, and they're backing up ~1.5TB to disk, and the longer the instance is up, the longer the backup takes. A recent progression has been:

--

http://www.freelists.org/webpage/oracle-l Received on Sat Jul 08 2006 - 18:03:35 CDT