Re: comparsion of 9i vs. 10g

From: Robert Freeman <robertgfreeman_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Fri, 7 Jul 2006 13:31:29 -0700 (PDT)

My book Oracle Database 10g New Features is a quick introduction to Oracle Database 10g and it's new features. Other cool things in 10gR2:

ORA_ROWSCN (very cool I think!)
OEM is much improved!
PL/SQL Compile time warnings
Regular Expressions (boouuuyahhhhh)
ASM and (in 10.2) easier ASM management
Recyclebin
Real compression of RMAN backups...

and sooo much more.

Robert

> adding to the list
>
> flashback database feature
> flashback drop table with a recycle bin
> Export and Import is made now throught the server
> with dbms_datapump with a
> lot of enhanced options.
> a LOT of advisors in EM
> A basic graphical interfase to RMAN with EM
> A basic graphical interfase to sql*loader with EM
>
> On 7/7/06, Laimutis Nedzinskas
> <Laimutis.Nedzinskas_at_landsbanki.is> wrote:
> >
> > 10g seems to be a good fix. Not so much to say
> for marketing types except
> > of "g"(grid) but for dba's/developers:
> >
> > - a guaranteed undo retention
> > - automated work load repository. It was possible
> to dump database state
> > before but now Oracle is capable of dumping some
> data in what - 15 sec
> > intervals? Full snapshots are collected in 1
> minute intervals.
> > - sql profiling
> >
> > A lot of more thing cleaned up like for example:
> >
> > -dbms_output can now output 32k,
> > -sql with regular expressions (again, we could use
> owa_pattern before but
> > not so easy)
> > -even documentation is better in some areas.
> >
> > What I do not really like: OEM is something I
> refuse to trust for "one
> > button press" database management. But that may be
> is personal, may be
> > someone got OEM running stable.

Robert G. Freeman
Portable DBA: Oracle (Oracle Press)
Oracle Database 10g New Features (Oracle Press) Oracle9i RMAN Backup and Recovery (Oracle Press) Oracle9i New Features (Oracle Press)
Oracle Replication (Rampant Tech Press)
Mastering Oracle8i (Sybex)
Oracle8 to 8i Upgrade Exam Cram (Coriolis <RIP>) Oracle 7.3 to 8 Upgrade Exam Cram (Coriolis <RIP>)