Re: full-scan vs index for "small" tables

From: Nilo Segura <nilosegura_at_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 30 Jun 2006 11:31:20 +0200

On 6/30/06, Laimutis Nedzinskas <Laimutis.Nedzinskas_at_landsbanki.is> wrote:

> >I want an index to be used if it exists, regardless of statistics,
> period.
>
> Yes, it is ...annoying when someone [Oracle] thinks he is smarter than
> you and it commands you what to do.
> The strategy "if index was created then it was created for a reason -
> use it" makes a sense.

But you are assuming that the application will implement the correct number of indices that are required :)

You should see some of the applications I have to deal with, most of times it is a matter of adding missing indices or removing unwanted ones...and amazing experience .. and don't get me started on missing constraints :D

--
Nilo Segura
Oracle Support - IT/DES