Re: Is it possible to reorganize tables for logical standby while maintain the synchronization?

From: Jared Still <jkstill_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2006 08:50:23 -0700

An alternative would be to use DBMS_REDEFINITION to recreate tables in a new tablespace.
The downtime to switch to the new table is minimal.

A Caveat here:I haven't actually used DBMS_REDEFINITION for this. I have done it manually
using materialized views on prebuilt tables, which I believe is the mechanism underlying
DBMS_REDEFINITION. DBMS_REDEFINITION was buggy on the Oracle version I had to do this on, hence the manual
process. Great learning experience. :)

There is one requirement for doing this: Your table must either have a primary key, or it must
have column(s) upon which you can temorarily build a PK. Some systems (such as SAP) do
not use PK in the database, but they can be easily added and dropped.

Jared

--
Jared Still