Re: Help with Windows error

From: Jared Still <jkstill_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 27 Jun 2006 15:15:40 -0700

Have a look at http://www.wlug.org.nz/ErrorMessages

Then click on EMLINK.

Yes, I know it is Linux, but read the description of possible causes.

This is a POSIX error, which could very likely be your Error 31. FAT filesystems do not use hard links, but NTFS can, though I don't know if hard links are a special case on NTFS.

Do these apps create a lot of sub-directories?

Or perhaps NTFS Hard Links?

Jared

On 6/27/06, Sweetser, Joe <Joe.Sweetser_at_infocrossing.com> wrote:

> Oracle 8.1.7.4.1
> Windows 2000 SP4
>
> Intermittent error that (so far) is only resolved with a server reboot.
> Error manifests itself many ways but the most obvious are inability to
> connect to the database and/or inability to log into the server itself.
> If you do get logged in to the server...inability to start an
> application; be it cmd or sqlplus. The error at that point is "Failed
> to initialize application". No errors in alert.log and database comes
> up fine after reboot.
>
> The only error I've found is in the listener.log and I can't figure what
> the underlying Windows error truly means. I have googled and metalink'd
> to no avail.
>
> 26-JUN-2006 10:23:18 * <snip> * establish * limsprod * 12500
> TNS-12500: TNS:listener failed to start a dedicated server process
> TNS-12560: TNS:protocol adapter error
> TNS-00530: Protocol adapter error
> 32-bit Windows Error: 31: Too many links
>
> Can anyone shed some light on what "Too many links" means? Open files?
> Network connections? Sockets?
>
> Thanks in advance,
> -joe

Jared Still