FW: ORA-01555: snapshot too old: rollback segment number 24 with name "_SYSSMU24$" too small

From: Wittenmyer Joel - CO <WITTENMYERJ_at_tusc.com>
Date: Tue, 27 Jun 2006 15:41:42 -0500

Well, it's a client of mine, and they are challenging, but that's what makes it fun! :O

Oh, but GATHER_STATS_JOB does do 'massive DML' (ok, maybe not massive, but a lot :) ), in this case to the 'OPSTSTAT' objects in SYSAUX. Large numbers of deletes in particular. The OPSTSTAT indexes can easily grow to 2 or 3 times the size of the tables. I rebuild them monthly to reclaim several Gig of space. I've sat and watched the stats job run and had it blow out max_extents on an undo segment. Over and Over.

I believe the bug is 4288876.

As I said, it sounds similar. It may not be the same issue, but may be worth looking at.