RE: Help with Windows error

From: Sweetser, Joe <Joe.Sweetser_at_infocrossing.com>
Date: Tue, 27 Jun 2006 13:03:32 -0700

There is a single DB link in the database and the developers tell me they are not using it.

From: oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org
[mailto:oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org] On Behalf Of Paul Drake Sent: Tuesday, June 27, 2006 1:58 PM
To: Sweetser, Joe
Cc: Oracle-L_at_freelists.org
Subject: Re: Help with Windows error

On 6/27/06, Sweetser, Joe <Joe.Sweetser_at_infocrossing.com> wrote:

	Oracle 8.1.7.4.1
	Windows 2000 SP4

	Intermittent error that (so far) is only resolved with a server
reboot.
	Error manifests itself many ways but the most obvious are
inability to
	connect to the database and/or inability to log into the server
itself.
	If you do get logged in to the server...inability to start an
	application; be it cmd or sqlplus.  The error at that point is
"Failed
	to initialize application".  No errors in alert.log and database
comes
	up fine after reboot.

	The only error I've found is in the listener.log and I can't
figure what
	the underlying Windows error truly means.  I have googled and
metalink'd
	to no avail.

	26-JUN-2006 10:23:18 * <snip> * establish * limsprod * 12500
	TNS-12500: TNS:listener failed to start a dedicated server
process
	TNS-12560: TNS:protocol adapter error
	  TNS-00530: Protocol adapter error
	   32-bit Windows Error: 31: Too many links

	Can anyone shed some light on what "Too many links" means?  Open
files?
	Network connections?  Sockets?

	Thanks in advance,
	-joe