ASM on two storage arrays, good or bad?

From: Limin Guo <lguo.oracle_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 27 Jun 2006 11:58:11 -0400

Hi all,

Is it a good idea to use ASM across two storage arrays? What are pros and cons?

I can also use Sun Volume Manager to do the host mirroring on two storage arrays, but I don't see any advantage of doing so?

Here are the hardware configuration for a RAC implementation:

Two Sun Fire V490
Two Sun StorEdge 3300
Sun Solaris 10 with Cluster 3.1

The hardware was in place before I was on board. I prefer to simply use StorEdge shared QFS for all files for RAC, using only one storage array. However, the other option came to my mind was to use ASM across two storage arrays. Before I start anything, I would like to hear the RAC expert's input.

Thank you in advance.

--

Regards,

Limin Guo.