Re: Managing CPU_COUNT for micro-partitioning on AIX

From: Wolfgang Breitling <breitliw_at_centrexcc.com>
Date: Mon, 26 Jun 2006 21:03:10 -0600

No, cpu_count can't take fractions. It's simply that 1/10th of a cpu will be 1 cpu running at 1/10th the raw speed (approximately). The magic of timeslicing. As far as licensing is concerned, I'm pretty sure that each virtual cpu will count as a full license, even if it is assigned only a fraction of a cpu. Again, through the magic of timeslicing, Oracle will be able to wring 20 licenses out of a 2 cpu box :-). However, I'll be happy to be contradicted on that point.

At 03:29 PM 6/26/2006, Jesse, Rich wrote:

>ANYWAY, does anyone know how Oracle would or should handle the
>_CPU_COUNT and the continuously variable CPU allowance? I still don't
>exactly how the APV Hypervisor determines what a tenth of a CPU is, but
>I'm thinking that _CPU_COUNT won't take decimals or fractions. I've

Regards

Wolfgang Breitling
Centrex Consulting Corporation
www.centrexcc.com