RE: dba_extents view in Oracle 10.2.0.2

From: <genegurevich_at_discoverfinancial.com>
Date: Mon, 26 Jun 2006 08:20:03 -0500

Dave,

Thanks for the info. I have deleted the stats from sys.seg$, but I don't see much improvement. I'll try removing them from other tables next.

thank you

Gene Gurevich
Oracle Engineering
224-405-4079

             "Herring Dave -
             dherri"
             <Dave.Herring_at_acx                                          To
             iom.com>                  <genegurevich_at_discoverfinancial.com
                                       >, "oracle-l"
             06/24/2006 02:01          <oracle-l_at_freelists.org>

                                                                   Subject
                                       RE: dba_extents view in Oracle
                                       10.2.0.2

I haven't checked out this bug yet, but a couple of us did come across this problem this past week. We found that having collected dictionary stats, the problem showed up. Deleting them caused the problem to go away (3 hr query vs. 3 second!). Unfortunately, one DBA pointed out that the scheduled "gather_stats_job" job puts stats back on them every night.

I poked around a little further and found that stats on SYS.SEG$ was the main problem. Not sure why that confused the CBO so much, but after deleting stats and locking stats on this table, the problem went away while still allowing stats on all other dictionary objects AND letting the scheduled "gather_stats_job" keep running nightly.

HTH. Dave

Dave Herring, DBA
Acxiom Corporation
3333 Finley
Downers Grove, IL 60515
wk: 630.944.4762
<mailto:dherri_at_acxiom.com>

"When I come home from work and see those little noses pressed against the windowpane, then I know I am a success" - Paul Faulkner