RE: multipathing, AMSLIB and HBA

From: Fahrenfort, Keith (PSS Americas Oracle) <keith.fahrenfort_at_hp.com>
Date: Wed, 21 Jun 2006 08:38:34 -0500

Hi Cindy, ASM and ASMLib currently have no multipathing capability.

So to remove the Single Point of Failure storage connectivity per server, you need to provide at least two paths to that storage, and storage multipathing software that can manage those paths. Storage multipathing software is either a free or for-fee product - you are limited to what the storage vendor supports/certifies with RAC.

I recommend at least two single-port HBA's per server, although some people seem ok recommending one dual-port HBA per server. Both options allow two paths to the storage, although if you lose a single dual-port HBA, you lose both storage paths it provides.

Hope this helps! Keith

Please let me know if you prefer to not receive email from me.

For HP's privacy policy and contact information, please see here - http://welcome.hp.com/country/us/en/privacy.html