Re: /3GB switch on Win2003 Standard Ed (ORA-04030)

From: Michael Ray <topshot.rhit_at_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 16 Jun 2006 10:43:49 -0400

Niall Litchfield wrote:
> On 6/16/06, Michael Ray <topshot.rhit_at_gmail.com> wrote:

>> "Caution: Microsoft supports using the /3GB switch in Windows Server
>> 2003, Standard Edition in a production environment for use by Active
>> Directory. For other applications, Microsoft supports using the /3GB
>> switch in Windows Server 2003, Standard Edition only in a production
>> environment if the application vendor has tested in this environment and
>> if the vendor is willing to support the customer who is using this
>> functionality."

> You'd obviously want to confirm with Oracle via a tar that they will
> support you, in principle however they do. If your new more powerful
> server is 64bit you may wish to read Note 370466.1.

I am already awaiting their response on that. :) We were going to do 64-bit until we realized the standby had to be 64-bit as well so everything is 32.

> > We found that we had great success using SGA_TARGET/MAX_SIZE and
> especially PGA_AGGREGATE_TARGET to allow Oracle to allocate memory to
> user threads on windows.

You'll see some of this on my other thread. They did not want me to fiddle with PGA_AGGREGATE_TARGET, which is 400MB, just with SGA_TARGET, which currently equals SGA_MAX_SIZE. I need to figure out how to effectively reduce it because my min size currently required is just 12MB below the target. I'm awaiting their response, but thought I would ask the real experts also.

--

Sincerely,
Michael Ray