Swappiness and Happiness

From: Charlotte Hammond <charlottejanehammond_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 15 Jun 2006 06:52:22 -0700 (PDT)

Hi All,

This is a compulsive tuning disorder question. I'm just curious if anyone has experimented/benchmarked the use of the swappiness parameter on Linux 2.6 kernel with Oracle running?

On a dedicated database server it would seem preferrable to set this lower than the default (60) as the Linux cache won't be adding much value to the Oracle cache. Has anyone done this - what's sensible? 10, 5 - even 0? Did it make any noticeable difference in an end-user measureable sort of way?

(Yes, I know that fixating on a randomly chosen parameter is an upside-down method of tuning performance; I'm more interested in the technical details of this particular "adjustment" than using it to tackle anything specific at the moment!)

Thanks!
Charlotte

Do You Yahoo!?